Original Moussaka is an eggplant or potato-based dish, often including ground meat, which is common in the Balkans and the Middle East, with many local and regional variations. The English name for Moussaka was borrowed from Greek mousakás (μουσακάς) and from other Balkan languages. Of course, this delicious recipe for vegan moussaka does not include meat or dairy products and will even surprise those who cannot do without meat!
Delicious Vegan Moussaka
- 1 Brinjal (egg plant)
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, pressed
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 T Tomato Paste
- ½ t Coriander
- 4 T Red Grape Juice
- 1 Cup Cooked Adzuki, Lima or other beans
- 2 Cups Simple Sour Cream
Simple Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Sunflower Seeds
- 3 Cups Water
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Salt
- First, make the simple sour cream. Just blend everything well together till the cream is white and smooth.
- Slice egg-plant thinly, rub with salt and let stand for 30 min. to draw out bitterness.
- Rinse and bake in oven at 180°C (350°F).
- Brown onions and garlic in saucepan, add tomatoes, tomato paste and grape juice. Let simmer for 5 min., then mix with cooked beans. Add salt and herbs to taste.
- Place half of the baked brinjal in a baking dish. Cover with half the bean mixture, followed by half of the SIMPLE SOUR CREAM.
- Repeat layers once more. Finally sprinkle herbs on top and dust with paprika. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 45 min.