Okay, things are about to get serious. This dish was created in the late 19th century by the French chef of Count Stroganoff. For the first time, the recipe for this dish was officially recorded in 1861, in the cookbook of Elena Molokovets. The original recipe includes beef with mushroom sauce and sour cream, served with a side of boiled rice or pasta. Other recipes for Stroganoff with sausage, meatballs, etc. can be found on the Internet as well. However, if you are looking for a meat and dairy free Stroganoff recipe, Bean Stroganoff then you have come to the right place.
In this recipe we will use beans, carrots, tomatoes, cashew or sunflower (sour cream) and some other healthy products to make vegan-vegetarian Bean Stroganoff dish.
- 3 Onions
- 2 cups Soaked Beans
- 1 can Chick Peas
- 5 Diced Carrots
- 1 tin Tomato Puree
- 1 small tin Tomato Paste (if preferred, use plenty of chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 3 T Soy Sauce
- 2 t Paprika
- 2 t Food Yeast
- ½ cup Cashews or Sunflower Seeds
- 2 cups Whole Grain Rice
- Soak the rice in water for 1 hour. Wash the rice well and boil it for at least 45 minutes in a rice/water ratio of 1:4
- Chop onions and brown in soy sauce, add beans, salt, paprika, stirring often.
- Cover with boiling water, bring pressure cooker to 2nd ring and cook for 15 min.
- Add vegetables and more salt, tomato paste and puree, herbs and more water to cover to about 3 cm above the ingredients. Pressure cook for a further 15 min.
- Pour the cashews or sunflower seeds with 1 cup of water, blend until very smooth. Taste the sauce. If the sauce is too sour, it may be sweetened slightly with honey or brown sugar.
- Thicken stew with corn flour, if necessary, and add the blended cashew nuts to the stew together with the food yeast. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Without pressure cooker, beans can be pre-boiled until almost cooked, then add all other ingredients and bake in a casserole for 1 hour. Serve with whole brown rice, barley rice, noodles or wheat bulgur (a very tasty, easy-to-prepare dish from the Middle East)
- Serve with a ball of cooked whole grain rice on the plate.